“You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backward. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.” -Steve Jobs
How to make actionable goals
Identify goal groups, according to Maslows Hierarchy of needs
- Dependents (kids, dogs)
- Purpose / Career
- Resources / Money
- Intimacy / Romance
State goals in the present
- Tempate: “I am a (IDENTITY)…”
- ✅ “I am a piano player”
- ❌ “I am learning to play the piano”
Action / Behavior
- Description: The action or behavior that supports the goal
- “Because I…(BEHAVIOR)”
- Example: “I am a healthy eater…” (goal) “… because I eat mostly vegetables” (behavior)
Trigger / Condition / Situation
- Description: When & Where
- “Before bed”
- “When I get home”
- Description: Which people, when involved, support this behavior & goal
Prioritized Human needs
- Security: A sense of safety and security; safe territory; an environment in which people can live without experiencing excessive fear so that they can develop healthily.
- Autonomy and control: A sense of autonomy and control over what happens around and to us.
- Status: A sense of status - being accepted and valued in the various social groups we belong to.
- Privacy: Time and space enough to reflect on and consolidate our experiences.
- Attention: Receiving attention from others, but also giving it; a form of essential nutrition that fuels the development of each individual, family and culture.
- Connection to the wider community: Interaction with a larger group of people and a sense of being part of the group.
- Intimacy: Emotional connection to other people - friendship, love, intimacy, fun.
- Competence and achievement: A sense of our own competence and achievements, that we have what it takes to meet life’s demands.
- Meaning and purpose: Being stretched, aiming for meaningful goals, having a sense of a higher calling or serving others creates meaning and purpose.
- Book: Atomic Habits
- Prioritized Human Needs
- Maslovs Hierarchy of Needs
- How to Create a Personal Development Plan