2/3 cup chopped onions 1 clove garlic, finely chopped 2 lbs. ground beef 16 oz canned crushed tomatoes 1 ½ - 6oz cans tomato paste 1 - 8oz can tomato sauce or purée 1 – 13 oz can chicken broth ¾ cup of water (more or less as needed for desired thickness) 1 ¼ teaspoons salt 1 teaspoon sugar ¼ teaspoon pepper ½ - 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, based upon spicy preference (can always add more at the table) 1 ½ teaspoons oregano 1 teaspoon basil ½ teaspoon crushed or ground rosemary leaves 1 bay leaf Optional: 1 can mushrooms and juice Parsley – approximately 1 Tablespoon added in during last ½ hour of cooking Parmesan cheese – a handful added in during the last ½ hour of cooking
- Stock pot
- Sauce spoon
- Brown the ground beef and drain off excess fat. Set aside
- In a stock pot, simmer the onions and garlic in ½ stick of butter and/or olive oil until tender.
- Add the browned ground beef and other ingredients, with the exception of the parsley and parmesan cheese.
- Stir to combine.
- Bring up to a simmer, then reduce the heat to the lowest setting and simmer uncovered, 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the parsley and parmesan cheese during the last ½ hour of cooking.
- Serve over cooked pasta.